Dec 26, 2010

the Mediocre and the Outstanding in the Mining and Oil (M-O) Sector

I was reading one of the blog about the Philippine stocks when I noticed the post he/she made on Dec. 22 about the most recent movements in the Mining Sector of the PSE particularly AT, PX, NIKL, LC and ORE. I wonder if I missed anything about these securities that's why I made a review of their business performance. Below is the summary:







The Outstanding
SCC - Semirara Mining Corporation's income jumped 146% for the first 9 months of 2010. The said improvement is mainly due to its power business (I have repeatedly mentioned that this is a fast growing sector in the Philippines). Prior to this year, SCC is consistent in earning a high income and thus resulted to the rally in its stock price for the last 2 years. More developments are expected for the said company since new projects are expected to roll in the next few years as a respond to the growing demand in energy.

PX- Philex Mining Corporation's income increased at 35% from Jan-Nov this year. This is expected due to rising metal prices, bigger production and higher ore grades. The company announced earlier that they will jack-up their CAPEX next year to develop new mines next year.  In my assesstment, PX is number 3 in my stocks wish list. It has a consistent high income for the last 5 years and expected to continue in the future. If I'm not mistaken, MVP bought stakes at this company at P21/share.

The Mediocre
OM, CPM, MA, ORE, LC, AT, NI and GEO are some of the "Basura" stocks in PSE. I really don't understand why people are still buying these stocks when it was consistently losing money. LC even issued stock rights recently perhaps to extend the life of the company. Maybe I'm wrong but their financial statements for the last 5 years are clear indication that these stocks are highly risky.  Stocks are as good as the business it represents and common sense tells me that their negative income means that I should avoid these stocks like plague.

The Not So Sure
OV and OPM made a turn around in their performance this year but I will see if this is sustainable.
NIKL is just a newly listed company and I don't have enough data to gauge its value but its recent performance makes it a candidate...maybe.
PERC's historical performance is a so-so, but with its entry in the Power Industry, there's a chance that it may perform well in the future just like what happen to SCC.

Legend:
ROE - Return on Equity
TTM- Trailing 12 Months
ROE-5 -average ROE for the last 5 years
ROA-5-average Return on Assets for the last 5 years
NPM - Net profit margin (TTM)
PE-TTM - Price to Earnings Ratio based on the most recent earnings and Price(Dec. 23).

No comments:

Post a Comment